Header image alt text

Morning Seditionists

Moving On

Posted by pjsauter on April 27, 2016
Posted in Whatever  | 9 Comments

Well, looks like Primary season is all but over now, and soon we’ll turn our attention to the General Election. Actually, for me, I’m going to do everything in my power to divert my attention from the General, because I’m really not looking forward to what it’s going to be like (it’s going to be downright icky, IMHO). I’m very conflicted on this whole thing. On the one hand, I can’t believe I live in a country that would make Donald Trump a serious candidate for President. One the other hand, it doesn’t surprise me one bit. Either way, it’s pretty shameful.

Read more

Dog Day Morning

Posted by pjsauter on April 23, 2016
Posted in Whatever  | 14 Comments

I have to go to the vet this morning. Well, it’s actually my dog that has to go, but he needs a ride. Fortunately, it isn’t because he’s sick or injured – mostly he just needs his rabies shot before his doggy license expires a week from today. And while we’re at it, he’ll be getting him Lyme vaccine booster. I’m ordinarily not one for all this vaccination stuff, but given the vast number of these goddamn ticks we have around here and the fact that all three of the varmints have tested positive (despite the money I shell out for Frontline Plus® and my diligent tick inspections), I decided to go for the Lyme vaccine last year. The first year’s a pain, too, because you have to get a booster a couple months after the initial vaccine.

Read more

Primary Colors

Posted by pjsauter on April 21, 2016
Posted in Whatever  | 19 Comments

I’m a day late on this (must’ve been that whole 4/20 thing bong), but the 2016 NY State Primaries are over, with Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton emerging victorious. I (much like the Trump spawn) was unable to participate in the primary election because I’m not registered to a political party that makes much of a difference. I was once a registered Democrat, but long ago decided I didn’t like the “party” all that much so I registered with the Working Families Party. But then they endorsed Governor Snotball over Zephyr Teachout a couple years back, which really pissed me off. So I decided to switch to the Green Party. Frankly, registering as a Democrat where I live is kind of a joke. None of the local races are ever contested (hell, we’re often lucky to have more than one candidate running in the general election, let alone the primary), and by the time the national races get to NY, everything’s usually already been decided (at least, according to the media) by the white folks in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina. The last time I voted in a primary was way back in 2008 when I quite reluctantly voted for Hillary Clinton over Barack Obama (my first choice was John Edwards, which shows how smart I am).

Read more

Tax Day

Posted by pjsauter on April 15, 2016
Posted in Whatever  | 18 Comments

It’s tax day here in ‘murica, where 99% of us a happy to pay our fair share to keep America great, and the other 1% laugh at us behind our backs (some right to our faces) as they send their money off to hidden offshore accounts. I actually filed mine way back at the beginning of February, so all I’m really trying to do today is make it through this week. On my way into the building this morning, I walked by a banana peel in the parking lot. All I could think of was this could be my ticket to permanent disability (and maybe a lawsuit for failure to provide a safe working environment). And it would have been such a classic injury. “How’d you get hurt?” “Slipped on a banana peel.” Hah! bf

Read more

Beer Day

Posted by pjsauter on April 7, 2016
Posted in Whatever  | 18 Comments

Happy Beer Day! It was on this date in 1933 that the Cullen–Harrison Act went into effect, legalizing (after what much have been a dreadful 13 years) the sale of beer for the first time since 1920 (it was only 4% beer, but, hey, beggars can’t be choosers). On that day, 1.5 million barrels of beer were consumed nationwide. Is that a lot? I don’t know. According to this page, in 2011 Americans consumed 6.3 billion gallons of beer. So, let’s see…. That would be about 17,260,274 gallons of beer per day. There are 31 gallons in a beer barrel, so that would be about 556,783 barrels a day. Roughly a third of what they drank back in 1933. Pretty impressive, especially when you consider that the US population was only about 125.6 million in 1933 and 311.7 million in 2011. If April 7th is Beer Day, then April 8th has got to be Hangover Day. But then, I generally celebrate both most every day.